Seven Reasons to LOVE Fermented Foods

Have you caught the buzz about the human biome?

"The first living cell came into being nearly 40 million centuries ago, and its direct descendants are in all of our bloodstreams. Literally you are breathing molecules this very second that were inhaled by Moses, Mother Teresa, and Bono. We are vastly interconnected. Our fates are inseparable. We are here because the dream of every cell is to become two cells. And dreams come true. In each of you are one quadrillion cells, 90 percent of which are not human cells. Your body is a community, and without those other microorganisms you would perish in hours."
~Paul Hawken

The latest research shows that we’re only 10 percent human ~ the other 90 percent consists of beneficial bacterial flora that have been in our maternal line for millennia. Nourishing our gut flora with fermented foods (along with EFT practice) heals ancestral karma while vanquishing our cravings for the things we don’t want. 

Our bodies are in as much a state of ecological crisis as the rest of the planet. Our chronic consumption of denatured, highly processed foods has created an ecological devastation in our biological landscape that is akin to the destruction of the rainforest or fracking or mountaintop removal. 

When I was first working with clients as a Tapping practitioner, I was working with a woman who had been through very, very, very severe trauma. I was listening to her talk, and as I listened, I got a very strong image of a barren lot in an urban landscape that had scraps of cars and junk metal in it.  

I realized, as I was sitting there, that I was looking at her digestive tract, and of course she was talking to me about her sugar addiction. I saw in that moment that our human trauma has an ecological impact on our body.

Part of that is also due to the trauma of consuming foods that are processed through a denatured, industrialized food system. Until we restore and recover the ecology of the gut, we’re not gonna make any big headway in our addiction.

We know the body and mind are of a piece. But if we try to handle this food thing from one end or the other exclusively, then the part that hasn’t been dealt with will surface and assert itself and then take us down. 

Seven Reasons to LOVE Fermented Foods

1.     Fermented Foods Benefit Digestion. Modern research has finally confirmed what traditional cultures around the world have known for centuries: Fermented foods populate the digestive tract with trillions of beneficial bacteria that help us get maximum nutrition and assimilation from our foods. 

2.     Fermented Foods Build Immunity. Did you know that your immune system resides primarily in your gut? The healthier your gut, the healthier you are. It’s that simple. 

3.     Fermented Foods Regulate Body Weight. New evidence indicates that imbalanced gut ecology adversely affects the way our bodies store fat, regulate blood sugar, and respond to hormones that make us feel hungry or full. Fermented foods re-balance our gut bacteria, which help our bodies find their naturally right weight. 

4.     Fermented Foods Supply Vitamin C. Sauerkraut, the quintessential fermented food, is a powerhouse of Vitamin C, one of the best antioxidants, cancer fighters, and immune defenders we have. 

5.     Fermented Foods Reduce Junk Food Cravings. It seems like science fiction, but the bacteria in our gut are now believed to drive our food choices for good or ill. The greater the imbalance toward pathogenic bacteria, the more you’re going to want those KrispyKremes! The next time you crave a cookie, reach for some sauerkraut instead. I’m not kidding!

6.     Fermented Foods Stabilize Mood. It’s not all in your head ~ your gut plays a big role in regulating your mood. Feed your gut with fermented foods and you won’t want to bite people’s heads off anymore. 

7.     Fermented Foods Taste Delicious! And this, the best reason of all. Fermented foods are a thrill to the palate ~ sour, salty, tangy, fizzy, yeasty, and yummy! Make some of your own today!

Marcella FrielComment